On this day, Sept. 7 ...
2017: Equifax announces a cybersecurity breach that exposed the personal information of 147 million people.
Also on this day:
- 1822: Brazil declares its independence from Portugal.
- 1901: The Boxer Rebellion in China officially ends with the signing of the Peking Protocol (Peace of Beijing).
- 1940: Nazi Germany begins its initial blitz on London during World War II.
- 1963: The National Professional Football Hall of Fame is dedicated in Canton, Ohio.
- 1972: The International Olympic Committee bans Vince Matthews and Wayne Collett of the U.S. from further competition for talking to each other on the victory stand in Munich during the playing of the “Star-Spangled Banner“ after winning the gold and silver medals in the 400-meter run.
- 1979: The Entertainment and Sports Programming Network (ESPN) makes its debut on cable TV.
- 1996: Rapper Tupac Shakur is shot and mortally wounded on the Las Vegas Strip; he would die six days later.
- 2008: Troubled mortgage giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are placed in government conservatorship.